Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can I get a smartphone without having to buy a data plan?

I don't have a smartphone, but I'm looking at getting one, possibly an iPhone or Xperia or something. But I'm not going to use any data plan, so I don't want to pay for one. I would just use the Wi-Fi.

So, can I just buy one of these phones (not from AT&T) and stick my AT&T SIM card in it and it would work just fine?
    That didn't answer my question...

Would it work if I bought the phone and simply put my SIM card in? I don't want a data plan, I'd only use Internet when I have Wi-Fi

Downloads
    Uploads
    AT&T requires a data plan for all smartphones regardless of where it was purchased.

The cheapest option is 200 MB for $15.00 but if you don't add it yourself AT&T will automatically add the 2 GB plan ($25.00) to your account when you insert your SIM card.

Downloads
    Uploads
    a reason why it's called the smartphone is because of the data plan. so therefore you must have a data plan. this applies to all carriers [verizon, t-mobile, etc]