Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tottenham Riots

Downloads
    Uploads

Tottenham Riots

I often get this sort of news late being overseas, but once again i find myself scratching my head at the world

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14435251

Do the rioters genuinely believe that they will make there community better by wrecking it? More to the point how many are just "along for the ride"?

Tottenham really has had it bad over the years - and I can't see it getting any better soon

Downloads
    Uploads

Tottenham Riots

Wow place looks worse than I thought it would. While I don't think much of this really has to do with the shooting, more like a few pissed people started the original scuffle outside the station and then everyone else jumped in at the chance of free stuff and a fight, but I don't get why "the community" is pissed at the killing?

Downloads
    Uploads

Tottenham Riots

Osu,

This is the first and civilized world...
    More action coming soon, and in the USA too...

Osu!

Junior Member adorable_labs_4_life's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tottenham Riots

This is what happens when you don't kettle tense protests.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tottenham Riots

But then protestors might not be allowed out to pee

Downloads
    Uploads

Tottenham Riots

The impression I get isn't that the protestors started looting. It's that a lot of scumbags took advantage of the scuffle to start looting.

Even if the police had kettled the protestors, the looting would have started outside the kettle since they are different groups of people.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic there. Are you saying the police are right to hold people and not "let them out to pee" just for protesting?

Downloads
    Uploads

Tottenham Riots

You assume that the two groups are completely isolated. They aren't. The looting was probably triggered by the outbreak of violence at the protest. If the Police had prevented the outbreak of violence, by for example, kettling them, looters wouldn't have been able to take advantage of the public disorder.

A lot of police officers were injured yesterday. If that could have been prevented at the cost of a few full bladders, isn't that a good tradeoff.

Of course, hindsight is always 20/20. What I really have a problem with is the media blaming the police for not doing the very things that they were being criticised for a few months ago.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tottenham Riots

It is one of those occasions where I wonder "Why do I bother?" - my job is something I enjoy immensely, but is it worth the associated flak and crap?

The I remember that most people actually like the Thin Blue Line and it reminds me that a few vocal morons will not stop me doing what I do and doing it well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tottenham Riots

I believe kettling is a viable containment method if there's a high risk of violence. First thing I heard about this, and before the proper burning and looting took place, was that riot police were being deployed outside the police station. If its enough to bring out the shields and batons then I'm not going to complain about containment.

I'm not saying it should be used all the time and there were times it was used poorly but I heard quite a bit of calling for its ban just because the evil policemen inconvenienced protesters. I put the blanket anti-kettling stuff in league with the news stories about mums complaining their kids took a smack from a riot officer in the middle of a riot.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tottenham Riots

Had a FB message from a friend that lives in Haringay area. They are trying to get Enfield rioting as well.

Sort of reminds me of the early 80' with Toxteth and Brixton.

Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast