Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

SPLIT: Swastikas

Something funny (or sad) that is similar is here in Hong Kong you have lots of printed T-shirts for sale very cheap... they will take anything western and print it up on a T-shirt and people buy them up no problem as the t-shir is by far the favored mode of dress here in Hong Kong and probably the entire world...

So at any rate... once or twice a week you will Nazi swastikas on T-shirts and bags! It just blows me away every time.

And yes I know that the swastika has been around long before Nazi Germany... but these are not Buddhist swastikas these are out and out Nazi party swastikas on in a white circle on a red field. Often they appear to be taken off fliers or some sort of information for Nazi party youth camps!

Hong Kong people either seem to have little knowledge of world history or are indifferent to it.

One of the larger high end fashion chain stores here named Izzue recently unveiled their new add campaign... the media had a field day... some genius in their marketing dept. decided the Nazi theme would be a great sales gimmick... so they decked out their botiques in Nazi germany grey/green and had entire-wall size pictures of German troops marching and the clothing was inspired by the Panzer divisions gear and clothing... replete with swastikas...

LOL!! Needless to say - the local Jewish community and many many others including many old-school British who still live in Hong Kong were outraged. At first Izzue tried to defend it but it became a PR nightmare and they scrapped the entire thing after about a week... some idiot in marketing lost their job over that I'm sure.

Here's some of the images...

Downloads
    Uploads

and more

Downloads
    Uploads

and more yet again.. lol

Downloads
    Uploads

It's sadly funny...

almost like a competition of who can more tragically uniformed..

Westerner's getting asian characters tattooed on them...

or

Asians coming up with ad campaigns that defy belief and show a pathetic understanding of history.

You decide.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't see the problems with Chinese people selling or wearing Nazi symbols. The Nazis are gone now, no point crying about them and tyring to ban the use of the symbol. I saw a lot of people in Japan wearing the swastika/eagle symbols, so what, they look cool.

Downloads
    Uploads

LOL.

There's one in every crowd.

No... let's see... every fashion label should be allowed to show Nazi films to sell their products.

It'd be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

edit:

I don't actually have a problem with the swastika itself.. as was stated.. it was in use for hundreds of years prior to a nutbag like Hitler taking it up. Graphically speaking it's an incredibley strong symbol... but if you want to use the swastika fine... the Chinese use it as a motif in furniture all the time and in patterns on silk as well... but they didn't go into the history archives and yank out the Panzer corps and troops peparing for Crystalnacht just so they could sell some lousy t-shirts and overpriced jeans.

It's about as crass as it comes.

What's more is the complete historical and social ignorance on the part of the Izzue chain when they developed this ad campaign.

Dumb.. dumb... and more dumb.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's more of that it looks like you support neo-nazis, which are still around.

Downloads
    Uploads

What about that the Swastika is a sacred symbol to the Chinese, we call it wan?

www.hanzismatter.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Should they?

I didn't mention any of that, I just said if they want to wear swastikas let them.

Might want to actually read the post you reply to next time!

They're few and far between. But even if it does, so what? Isn't this up to the person wearing it? I think I should have the right, not that I'd choose to use it, to dress however I like, without duress or abuse from other people, even if that means swastikas. One thing I loved about Japan is that I sometimes saw people with some kind of swastika on their clothing, without someone nearby going OMG! RACIST! or giving them any abuse at all, they minded their own business.

Junior Member whatitdoababiboom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

the reason you dont wear that sort of thing in western countries is because the huge level of disrespect. most people in the west had someone involved in the war. my grandad lost his eye to shrapnel and my great uncle lost his leg. If someone wandered around here wearing a swastika they better hope they have medical insurance.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast