Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Violent vs Peaceful protest

I believe student education should be free, but they could be taxed at a (slightly) higher rate upon graduating.Only worthwhile studies should be allowed.Introduction of higher fees, runs the risk of the students suing the academic institution for failure / crap teaching.peaceful protest is fine, damage to property is very questionable, injuring public, official or police etc deserves a very heavy penalty.at protest number 1 the number of photographers inside the building trying to get front page pics was ridiculous. They should be charged with insighting a riot - they were certainly not calming things down.If the student poplulation is becoming more intelligent (higher number os passes with A, or A* etc) and examinations aren't getting easier, then how can the government announce (yesterday) that teaching standards and education levels are dropping..........

Discuss!

Downloads
    Uploads

When I did Uni here in Australia back in '98 it cost me around $16000, or $4000 a year. That got covered by HECS, which gets paid back once you make a certain amount of money a year (around $30,000/year I think). 10 grand is not that much really (unless you are talking 10 grand per year?), especially if you have something like HECS (does that exist over there). Half the students spend most of their time partying and wasting their money, rather than studying, so should the government really be paying for you to do that. You are supposed to be an adult by the time you reach uni.

I can't see that violent protests do any good, unless that is, you have a massive amount of numbers and end up throwing a revolution. Violent protests simply get shown in a bad light, you see pics of people tearing down fences, smashing things, getting detained by police etc. The average person probably thinks they are a bunch of idiots rioting rather than the cause they are protesting about.

Downloads
    Uploads

Violent protest for the win.

Junior Member MrseDavidArchuleta's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

On one hand, yes, but since graduates traditionally earn more money, they pay more tax anyway.

Define worthwhile. With the exception of Media Studies and such, I would argue that most degrees are worthwhile.

Would be incredibly difficult to sue for poor teaching, since independent learning (i.e. learning stuff yourself) is a key component to degree study. But I'm sure students will do more to hold their institution to account and that is in no way a bad thing.

It's politics, they can contradict themselves within a speech, never mind across government departments.

Downloads
    Uploads

Students, who cares? Personally, I'm amazed that they found the energy to get out of bed in the AM to go to a rally, poor dears. I'll listen to them in 25 years when they are 1/ well into paying off their debt 2/ inevitably more rightwing.

I do hope the new tuition fees won't stop the flow of media graduate's as I like my car washed and fries served by people who can enunciate "have a nice day sir".

Downloads
    Uploads

Is that a joke that I am missing the point of?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yup - unfortunately it is just the tuition fees that they are increasing to 10k per year. Accommodation & living fees are separate, not to mention the extras such as academic texts and other materials. Fortunately the £10k is marked as the ceiling, and that anything higher than a nominal figure (around £6-7kpa) has to be justified (at least that is my understanding)

Currently I believe the academic costs are around £3k per year, so roughly equivalent to your original mark. Hence the uproar in the fees increase - at best it is a minimum of a 100% increase!

The student in the UK are in for quite a long hard haul, and quite a bit of debt.

Downloads
    Uploads

Agreed, but 1 or 2% higher tax would make it more palatable for the masses, and it only applies if they pay tax (only a suggestion however) I still think that it should be free, as you rightly say they pay more anyway when they get the high flying jobs.

Agreed - but you have already stated an exception, so there are probably others.

I know that for my wife and my son I did hold them to account, due to bad teaching, guidance and also bad practice. Once their responsibilities had been outlined, then the attitude changed. In the better institutions it isn't a problem, but there are lots of jumped up institutions these days (I'm not an academic snob - I went to a good old fashioned Polytechnic for my degree, but some of the institutions I have encountered used to struggle with plasterers and plumbers, so how they hope to deal with degrees is beyond me)

Never a truer word spoken

It is an interesting area for discussion (peaceful and non-violent, over a beer or two me thinks)

I just think that we (UK) have things wrong at present and are in a difficult financial position. I can however understand the student frustration, especially with the mixed messages they receive. But the 'activists'........ that's a different story.

Downloads
    Uploads

Everybody who's under 18 and has aspirations of attending university. Everyone who's currently at university. Everyone who would like their children to attend university. Everyone who wishes they could've attended university and hates to see the chance denied to others. Everyone who has a moral objection to education being rationed to the wealthy.

Who doesn't care? The rich and the self-centered?

Downloads
    Uploads

Students have always protested, no one has ever given a damn! This is true all over the world.

Students start off all left wing and dreamy, protest, take drugs, grow their hair long and vow to never conform!

Twenty years later they are your hardnosed, short haired, occasional cocaine taking but very much rightwing divorce lawyer. This stage is when they have a voice in society.

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast