Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Taking "God" out of the Holidays

do you know where the X comes from?

Greek from Dictionary.com

Καλά Χριστούγεννα (Kala Christouyenna)

Downloads
    Uploads

I know where MINE comes from - and it sure ain't Greek

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe it's because they're considerate of others, and they realize their are secular individuals out there who are sick and tired of having Christianity crammed down their throats?

They do it because it's the least obnoxious path. I'm very thankful for it. Is it really so bad not to be able to beat other people over the head with rituals and icons they don't believe in? Because from the other side of the coin, it's pretty nice to NOT be beaten over the head with those rituals.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I can't stand it when the dominant religious group in America acts like a poor downtrodden minority.

Downloads
    Uploads

St. Valentines day?

Christmas wasn't *hijacked* by Christians - they chose to celebrate the birth of Christ at the same time as the pagan festival of a different name so that nobody would notice and decide to throw them into pits with a bunch of lions.

Downloads
    Uploads

David Limbaugh's book, "Persecution; How Liberals are Waging War Against Christianity", has some interesting things to say about this very topic. I found it at Barnes & Nobles...so far, it's a good read.

Downloads
    Uploads

I find that highly unlikely - well, out and out wrong - given that many were willing to die as martyrs anyway (and therefore at least had the courage of their convictions) and that it was a papal decree that set the date for the celebration NOT and "underground" consensus of Lion avoidance

Christmas is about Christianity...but December the 25th isn't as there are many other festivals at that time of year. I for one shall be having a great Solstice and Yule. If that coincides with my mum's christmas celebrations then everybody is happy!

Downloads
    Uploads

You know, if christmas stops being about jesus, which it originally wasn't, then all the jews, muslims, hindus, budhists, etc. get to play too- which I think is a good thing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Does that mean that we stop muslims celebrating Ramadan so we can all join in too? Can you imagine the uproar?

No, there is nothing wrong with keeping christmas....well christmassy really!And others can join in - they just don't go to the church service

Downloads
    Uploads

The difference is that they still cling, largely, to the tenets of a medieval religion. Most people in the west have moved on.

Downloads
    Uploads

in stoke on trent (the nearest city to me) this year they are celebrating "winterfest" and in birmingham they are celebrating "winterval". the main reason it narks me is because its done to appease the politically correct brigade, not the so called 'minority groups' which they say it will offend. in my street there is a chinese family who absolutely love this time of year- they are facsinated with western christian culture and see it the same way i would if went to india during divali. the only people who offend them are those who speak on their behalf, but without their consent.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast