Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    alexpattaya

Transformer Vs. Transistor Balast For

HALOGEN LIGHTS? Dear Sir,My name is Alex, and I'm just doing final touch to finishing building my new house, and now it is time to buying Lighting.I need information which kind of transformer for Halogen lighting is better:1. Old style ( heavy transformer )2. New style - transistor or electronic transformer (light transformer)How many halogen light I should use in my 4 story house (about 370 m2) to be good lighting , and all of the lights I want to connect to the dimmer. Thank you very much for your answer Best Regards ! Alex

AXEMANSIXSTRING
    It all depends on how many watts you have with all of the lamps. Most of the small transistor type transformers are only good for up to approx 500w. The heavy duty wound transformers are capable of higher wattages. Same goes for the dimmers the highest amount of wattage for a dimmer is about 2000w. The higher the wattage the more the dimmer will cost. The average dimmer is good for 600w-1000w.

drwer2
    Ah....as usual, it depends.There are two types of controls. If you are using 110 VAC lights wired directly to a switch and breaker, then you can use a traditional dimmer.However, if you are installing units that have thier own transformers (and use the R12 bulbs) then you must use an electronic dimmer system. Any good lighting store can provide these (NOT home depot or lowes, you need an expert). The difference is that you cannot use a resistance dimmer on a 120/12 VAC transformer (which is an inductor).