A few months ago in the City section, Sari Botton talked about how tough it was for her traditional Jewish daddums —a cantor!—to accept that not only was she marrying a Catholic, she was eschewing a traditional Big Fat Jew Wedding. Thing is, though, ever since the nups, Sari has been throwing herself a sort of an ongoing reception in the pages of the New York Times.
We hear about Brian again in this week's Modern Love, which is about how the misogynistic retrogressive dating manual The Rules will not actually help you snag a man.
I even brought up the topic of marriage (bye-bye, Rule 17) after we had been together for close to a year. "I'm afraid to say the M word to you," I said, spurred on by a friend's recent engagement. "I've been taught that it's supposed to come from the guy." He smiled sheepishly and said. "I've been trying to wait until your birthday to propose, which hasn't been easy, but ..." We have now been happily married for more than two years -- no relationship manuals necessary.
Yeah, you know what's a sign of being really happy in your relationship? Needing to talk about it constantly in as public a venue as possible.
He Forgot To Call? Oh, No Big Deal [NYT]
</img>

More...