Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Hannibal or Dr Lecter

producer/executive producer. If a movie makes 300 mill. and has a 100 mill....

...budget, who keeps the 200 million I want to know who really makes the money when a movie is a huge success the producer or the executive producer. In the credits of Movies, the producer is mentioned first usually. On TV the executive producer is mentioned first. This as always bothered me. I want to know who makes the money when a movie is succesful, and what title is more "impressive".

Barn Dude
    Each movie has a different contract so it's not all the same. In general, the people who invest in the film can opt for a percentage of the profits. They get producer credits in the film. The actors also get a percentage usually, unless they request a flat upfront fee. Depending on someone's celebrity status, they can get a higher percentage. Spielberg, for example, can get a major percentage, but the boom operator isn't getting anything other than his daily wage.

As far as impressive credits, executive producer, unit production manager, director, casting director, director of photography, and composer are the most glorious. All the people putting up the money are a form of producers (associate producer, co-producer, producer, executive producer, etc)

To answer your question, Executive Producer is the top dog.