Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

MegaVideo movies ?

I've tried watching a couple of movies on here, because they were ranked the best quality on watch-movies.net. But one froze up towards the end, and when i tried to watch a different one, it said i had to wait because i already watched 72 minutes of video today. Is it worth it to pay for a membership?

Unregistered

a megavideo user

We said good bye to cable, dropped Netflix and Blockbuster. For your $ you can't beat Megavideo. Our PC is plugged into a 720P high def LCD TV. Yeah, megavideo vid quality is determined by the user who uploads the movie - so we are at the mercy of the uploading community. Also, Megavideo has a size limit on each upload (I think it is 700 meg like a CD or 1 or 2 Gigs at the most - remember standard DVD quality movies take about 4 to 7 gigs of space), most folks only want to upload a movie in whole, so they reduce the quality a little bit. Sometimes some folks separate the movie into more than one part, and sometimes the quality is better on these.

Two downsides: First, folks upload a lot of horrific quality versions of movies. For example, video camera at the theater crap - wish Megavideo would filter this garbage out automatically.

2nd Downside to Megavideo, they do not have a listing service built into their website to list movies or TV shows, so you have to find a 3rd party listing service.

Megavideo listing websites we use:
    We like surfthechannel.com (although make sure you turn on AdBlocking in FireFox first) because surfthechannel.com is sponsored by annoying popup adds. Surfthechannel.com lists 1000s of TV shows and 1000s of movies on Megavideo, and TV shows are usually posted the day/night after they originally aired. Totally awesome for us, since we do not have cable, and like shows like Eureka, Burn Notice Weeds, Californication, etc etc.
    We also use http://www.watch-movies-links.net/ but they list other hosting sites other than megavideo.
    This is pretty good to: http://www.watchnewfilms.com/
    As well as: http://www.filmupdatelist.com/completesiteuploads2009.htm and this has all of the megavideo links highlighted in blue.

However, most of the uploads are DVD rips, or DVD rip of a screener version pre-released before the theatre release (although these are harder to find and less abundant than they were five years ago). All in all, our experience has been great. I will never pay for cable again (at least not until I can hand pick the channels I want and they do away with all commercials - so essentially never), I will never go back to Netflix/blockbuster.

Yeah, the movies are not blue ray quality, but their quality is probably as good as a 480i resolution CRT TV set or better, and some are high def or near high def.

So, take your $80/month cable bill, scrap your expensive TiVo that will fall apart soon and don't buy another one, save what you would have spent for 1 year on all that garbage, then buy a budget LCD and have at least a DSL connection, then join Megavideo. $80 a month for cable (that is $960 for one year, plus each year after that) (you might be able to get a lifetime membership to Megavideo for half that), or $15 to $45 a month for netflix/blockbuster - heck no. Save your money. Also, Megavideo may offer you free premium service if you upload movies and stuff, or at least they did at first maybe they did away with that by now. Also, not sure about the legal ease of their service. Never looked into it. I guess if the Man comes a knockin', then Megavideo should be held accountable since they collected a fee for service, while we the end users (if we do not upload or download content) should be safe.

Join for one month (I know it's more expensive than the 3, 6 month or 1 year option) but then you can try it out, and if you don't like it you won't be out that much $, and if you do like it at the end of the month choose the 6 month or 1 year payment plan. I think we do 6 months. What we pay for 6 months is still less than 1 month of cable.

Also, if you dump cable, and have a new LCD TV, hook up some bunny ears, we still get all of the major networks, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, CW, PBS all for free, AND in free High Definition if the program is in HD! Totally awesome! I ran the autchannel scan on our LCD TV for the first time when we got it, it picked up all of the channels we could get, and the first thing it displayed when it was done scanning was Supernatural in High Definition, I was amazed!

So good luck, hope this long drawn out message helps, and maybe you can learn from our experience.

a movie watcher,
    peace out.