At the highest echelons of New York's public relations world, a war over clients and status and staff is being waged. And then there's this war too: a dust-up between 5W president Ronn Torossian and the black sheep of the Rubenstein PR dynasty, Richard Rubenstein. Things we can learn from the following email exchange between the two: Richard Rubenstein has been trying to poach from Ronn. Richard's dad, New York's PR kingpin Howard Rubenstein, apparently once sued Ronn. (We can't find a record of that in a quick search, but would love to see it, if it's true.) Finally, after he destroys them all, Ronn is willing to give Richard and Steven Rubenstein jobs at his company. Aww, isn't that sweet! Also: Very unlikely! Enjoy the saber-rattling!
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 6:28 PM
To: Richard Rubenstein
Subject: YOUR RECRUITOR
Richard:
Your office and recruiter have tried to poach numerous people from here this week - 4 seperately have come to me... If you'd like to get into a pissing march over staff, we are now twice your size and am comfortable with it.
I'd appreciate you advising your folks to stay away from here... or if you'd prefer let them target our folks, and I personally will stand outside your office to recruit your folks in response...
Ronn D. Torossian
President & CEO
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 7:08 PM
To: Ronn Torossian
Subject: RE: YOUR RECRUITOR
Ronn,
Please do not threaten me. Feel free to stand outside my door anytime you'd like to. I'm happy to talk about this with you next week but I will under no circumstances be threatened by you. Bullying tactics will not help you when dealing with me.
RR
Dictated, not read
RR/lc

Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 7:05 PM
Wonderful then. Its on. I welcome the war. Just remember you guys began it.
Ronn D. Torossian
President & CEO
5W Public Relations

Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 7:13 PM
Do me a favor, Ronn. Please spare me your childish responses and of course remember that I am more than happy and prepared to litigate with you over the slightest infraction or defamatory statement that relates to my business. I hope you have a qualified attorney and it will be expensive. You can still call me Monday if you'd like.
RR
Dictated, not read
RR/lc

Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 7:11 PM
I would love a lawsuit with you.... not an issue.... doesnt scare me at all - Fighting with the old shop in town has only been good for my business so far, hasnt it ?
You can just have your people stop targeting my firm. The exchange which began this was a courtesy email... remember all that - I asked you not to target my agency. You said no. Fine... now dont get upset.
And BTW, I'll still pay for your dad's retirement.

Sent: Fri Jun 29 19:27:17 2007
If you can afford a lawsuit that's fine with me. Your note borders on harassment and the tone is threatening. I think you might want to consult with your new director of HR, Jane Waldman first.
RR
Dictated, not read
RR/lc

Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 7:26 PM
Subject: Re: YOUR RECRUITOR
I can damn well afford a lawsuit. Ask your dad when he sued me.....but I wouldn't want adam mazur doing my press in this lawsuit....
Fighting daddys boy of the old school agency is only good for my business.....
We have 85 people and 13 million in revenue...I can afford the lawsuit......and welcome and relish the battle with you.

Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 7:28 PM
Subject: Re: YOUR RECRUITOR
And yes, the tone should threaten you. I am going to target your business and do my best to continue growing...even with daddys name once he goes you and steven can come work as senior account execs for me.
--------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 7:32 PM
Relax and have a nice weekend, Ronn. Call me Monday if you'd like.
Dictated, not read
RR/lc

Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 7:34 PM
Great response for the record.
Dictated, not read
RR/tc
</img>

More...