Hello,

I am 28 years old, in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, and back in school to finish my degree. After career & personality tests and much research, I'm seriously leaning towards a sales career in the medical business. I have about a year and a half left of school, and am considering attaining a Bachelors in Business Marketing.

I've heard that the majority of successful medical sales reps are young, female, attractive and outgoing. (If that offends anyone, I apologize. It's not my personal opinion, since I obviously have not had any real world experience in the feild. It's the opinions of many of the professionals I've spoken to about my career path.) Yes, I do fall into that category however. How important that is to my questions depends on the person answering. Also, I realize this is a hard business to break into. That you have to know people to get in, but once you're in, you're in. (This pertains to one of my questions later.)

My questions are as follows:

1) Out of all of the specfic fields in medical sales (i.e. pharmaceutical sales, laboratory sales, clinical diagnostics sales, DNA sales, medical supplies sales, medical equipment sales, imaging sales, etc.), what is the overall "best", in your opinion, and why?

2) In your opinion, what are the 3 best qualities and the 3 worst qualities of this position?

3) What Bachelors degree do you think would be best for your specific choice?

4) What experience do you have?

5) What type of work can I get into now, that will not only help me to gain business to business sales experience while attaining my degree, but possibly help me to get my foot in the door later (or give me the opportunity to network to help me get in the door later)?

6) Are there any type of certifications or accreditations that I could attain on the side while in school that will benefit my career or help me to land a job?

7) In your opinion, what are the best 2 or 3 companies in the DFW area to work for in your chosen specific area of medical sales?

8) What areas in medical sales are the least likely to be seriously affected by the economy with layoffs, etc. (Which has the best job security?)

You'd REALLY help me out if you could answer any or all of my questions.

If you are in one of these fields, when answering, it might help if you think about this: "If you could go back, do it all over again with the knowledge you have now, what would you do different? What would you tell your younger, inexperienced self to help you earlier in your career?"

Thank you all in advance!! I REALY appreciate your help!!