Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    a bush family member

To Decrease Gas Prices, Should The U.S. Use Food As A Bargaining Chip?

America exports millions of tons of food to OPEC nations (including Iran). At the same time, OPEC continues to to drive up worldwide oil costs by controlling oil production . And many in OPEC think the price of oil is too low. Iran's president said the price of oil should be higher.

World economies and peoples' livelihoods depend upon oil.
    Most of the oil used in America does not come from OPEC nations, but many OPEC nations are driving up the cost of oil on purpose.
    http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_ep00_im0_mbblpd_m.htm

Around 40% of the oil used in America comes from the U.S..

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/cfapps/STEO_Query/steotables.cfm?periodType=Annual&startYear=2004&st artMonth=1&endYear=2008&endMonth=12&tableNumber=9
    To Brian:
    High oil prices have contributed to food shortages and has made food too expensive for many people in developing countries. (Due to monetary exchange rates, it is very expensive to use a tractor in developing countries.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes I Agree, It Would Be A Great Start Point.

Amos S
    That's not our way.As a conservative republican,the idea of using food as an instrument of blackmail for the world is repugnant.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The left hand provide food for oil the right hand provides weapons for oil. We should just stop buying it. Invest in the development of alternative energy sources and erect our middle finger when their economy is crashing.

Brian
    It sounds good in theory but I'm not interested in hurting the poor in the Middle east and that's who would suffer..

Downloads
    Uploads
    The left hand provide food for oil the right hand provides weapons for oil. We should just stop buying it. Invest in the development of alternative energy sources and erect our middle finger when their economy is crashing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, but only if it grows enough for domestic needs

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sadly, the US would be portrayed as the villain if it ever tried such a bold move. The OPEC nations would start releasing footage of babies dying in the streets and blaming it on us. I think that would end up with us being more hated by the world community.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i really don't think that is the issue. i think that while opec does drive some of the costs, for exxon and the like to continue to post profits while they are telling us there is a shortage is quite contradictory. i think the issue is greed by the companies such as exxon. and no food won't make that bargaining chip better.

Michael M
    Maybe if Obama wins he will kiss and make up with Chavez and maybe he will convince Chavez to sell us gas real cheap.

Chavez offered it to people of Manhattan for cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast