I have written a true story about two blind people who I am proud to say were my parents. The story starts in Northamptonshire, United Kingdom and begins in the late forties. Laura has left a boarding school for the blind well educated but lonely. Little is expected of her. Father is strict . Mother protective. She meets and falls in love with a young man who has recently lost his sight. His family in Coventry love him and so wish to take care of him. He has other ideas. He leaves home and is determined to lead an independent life. He settles in London. Finds digs with a land-lady and begins work as a telephonist.

Shortly after he meets Laura on a telephonist training course at a seaside town and fall in love. Neither his or her family approve of their relationship or of their later plans to marry. Laura elopes from Northamptonshire and they marry, with neither set of family present, at a Registry Office in London.

They find a newly built council house in Swindon Close, Harold Hill Romford Essex and everything seems set well for them both. Their family grows and contentment reigns. James works as a telephonist in Chelmsford whilst Laura remains at home to rear their children. Normal happy family experiences follow over the next eight years. Seaside trips to Southend. Visits to family follow.
Then the unthinkable follows. James dies suddenly aged thirty six.

She returns to her parents town in Northamptonshire taking her three children with her. In a state of loss and depression she forms a friendship with another blind man after communicating with him as a penfriend. He is sixteen years older than her. He is cruel and controlling. A Alcholic who drags them all into a world of fear, loss and judgment whilst the swinging sixties move on. He beats his guide dog on a daily basis and they lose heating as well as any self respect and so the battles continue