Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

im renting a private property which as been put up for sale,the estate agent wants...

...a key,do i have to comply? im in a private rented house,my landlady as decided to sell the property,im waiting to be rehoused,she wants me to give the estate agent a spare key so he can bring people to view even if im not in at the time..must i comply?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The landlord has some basic rights to access the house, but all that should be detailed in your lease. If it's not, you're in a quandry.

I think you'll find that if you went to court, the court would likely find in the landlord's favor that they have reasonable access to the property, including showing it to potential buyers. You should be able to require that you get notice, for example, 24 hours notices, before any visitors arrive.

If your landlord won't agree to give you 24 hours' notice, then you might resist. Of course, I don't know any of the other circumstances which might make that otherwise reasonable request improbable.

Usually landlords are grateful to have a renter in place while the house is on the market, because they want the income and because lived-in houses bring higher values than empty ones.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your landlord wants to act like the property is vacant? Malarkey!

State and local law govern this situation. You are entitled to quiet enjoyment of the property AND any showing is to be scheduled through you.

So, do not give that key. The sales agent must call you to schedule any showings. And, of course, you will be cooperative!

This is so they aren't traipsing through your house while you are showering, or shaving the cat, or arguing with your husband.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I'm afriad so. The exact same thing happened to my mum. It's so inconvenient but you can't really do much about it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    that doesnt sound right to me. what about all your stuff etc
    Ring Shelter for advice
    0808 800 4444