Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    John S.

if i am going to surely make a plea bargain does it matter if i use a...

...public defender or a private attorney? the police and i are arranging me to turn myself in for one count of burglary at which point i will be released on bond and have to appear in court. i know this is a felony and i want to get this expunged from my record. I was wondering if it mattered if i had a private attorney or a public defender. i just turned 18, and this is my first offense ever so my goal is to get "youthful offender" status and this be expunged from my record. i am not sure if only an attorney can do that or if a public defender can do that as well since i am not contesting anything my main goal is for a plea bargain where this does not go on my record but i serve my probation time. thanks guys

xrogglesx
    I don't think you should be given the chance of a deal, you should be birched (whipped) by each member of the family who's house you defiled.TAKE THE STREETS BACK!!!!!!!!!

jimmy d.
    The final decision on a plea comes from you. The attorneys can only advise you. If the deal is already set, save your money and use the P.D.

david r
    I think a private attorney will generally fight for your rights more. The public defender works for the court and guess who signs their check!
    Best luck, if you don't have the money and you are lucky you can get a good public defender who will look out for you. If you're not a violent offender I don't think you'll go to jail but i don't know about removing it from your record.

Don't commit any more crimes, dummy!!! (and get off drugs now if that's the reason you are committing crimes, otherwise you'll end up Bubba's bath toy real soon.)

laughter_every_day
    the PD is generally better at plea bargaining only because they essentially live in the courthouse and get to know the judges and the DAs better than the private bar. They are not very good at holding hands and telling you that everything will be alright, but they can evaluate a case for negotiations in a matter of minutes.

jml167
    Go with a private attorney if you are trying to get your record expunged. This can be difficult to achieve and needs some extra work on the part of the attorney. A public defender can arrange a plea bargain for you, but they just don't have the time to fight for the extras. They have too many clients to help to concentrate solely on one case. Spring for the extra bucks - this is your life you are paying for.

Songbyrd11
    Public Defenders are Attorneys. They take the same bar examine as any prosecutor or private attorney. You should talk to the attorney before deciding what to do.