Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Door to door cable company sales? Good job?

I've been looking into this recently. I have 5+ years experience in an inbound sales position. I have no qualms with going door to door to sell a product. My question relates more to the authenticity of these career ads I see from major cable companies which advertise a $700-1400 weekly commission pay-out for their door-to-door sales reps. Of course, I have plenty of experience in sales, but I wonder if most of the reps who hire on with these cable companies are making this sort of money.

Also, it seems there are marketing contractors which do work for these same companies who offer a little higher compensation on their Monster ads. In any event, I am curious as to the veracity of these salaries. Are most reps struggling to put food on the table or is something like a $700 weekly salary fairly easy to obtain in door-to-door sales as long as you stick with it and work hard every day?

I have some job security where I am now, but a lot of unnecessary micromanagement for a seasoned rep, which in turn hurts my sales. I always meet my quota, so that is never an issue. It would seem I would have a little more freedom in door-to-door. Can anybody shed some light? Much appreciated.
    Why would you not want this job on your resume?

Downloads
    Uploads
    That pay is accurate. If you want to stick in sales, I wouldn't want it on my resume though. I have no clue as to what kind of benefits they'd provide. As far as freedom, I think you hit the nail head on. I'm sure they all have home offices and are out and around during the day in their territory.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That pay is accurate. If you want to stick in sales, I wouldn't want it on my resume though. I have no clue as to what kind of benefits they'd provide. As far as freedom, I think you hit the nail head on. I'm sure they all have home offices and are out and around during the day in their territory.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know someone who had this job with a major cable company. He ended up quitting because though he and the others were hard workers, they were constantly being threatened with being fired because they didn't make enough sales that day. The problem was, a lot of people were already using their services or simply couldn't afford to upgrade. He ended up quitting because he couldn't take the stress of being threatened with losing his job every day. I think that is why there is such high turnover in those jobs, too.