Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Pirate Lady

How do we know global warming doesn't exist naturally?

I'm not saying it doesn't exist, because it's been proven that the planet is getting hotter and there is a hole in the ozone layer. But how do we know our carbon output is causing it? And how do we know that hole wasn't always there, as just a defect in our planet? I mean, we've had an ice age, and pollution didn't cause that...so can anyone help me understand? Have there been experiments or something? Please, I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just curious and want to understand. Thank you!

Bob
    It can't be explained in a few sentences. But the websites below explain it.

Climate has changed naturally in the past, usually due to the Sun. But we know what the Sun has been doing lately and it's clearly not the cause of the present warming. The data shows that:

Carbon dioxide holds heat close to the Earth and creates warming and explains the rise in temperatures we measure.

nice picture here:

http://www.globalwarmingart.com/wiki/Image:Climate_Change_Attribution.png

None of the alternative explanations work. Details here:

http://environment.newscientist.com/channel/earth/dn11462

This is a wonderful website that walks you through the scientific data.

http://profend.com/global-warming/

This is the bottom line:

"I wasn’t convinced by a person or any interest group—it was the data that got me. I was utterly convinced of this connection between the burning of fossil fuels and climate change. And I was convinced that if we didn’t do something about this, we would be in deep trouble.”

Vice Admiral Richard H. Truly, USN (Ret.)
    Former NASA Administrator, Shuttle Astronaut and the first Commander of the Naval Space Command

Talli-lala
    Global warming is VERY real, both naturally and human caused.
    Our Earth does go through cycles of extreme temperatures, but the spike in rising temperatures over recent years is shocking.
    There have been plenty of experiments that show that something weird is DEFINITELY happening to our planet. And if the polar ice caps melt millions, maybe even BILLIONS of people will die.
    Its a sad fact, but a very true one.
    And those people who say that it's all a hoax?
    They really make me want to scream, or cry or go plant a ton of trees.
    =]

gaby
    Very good question. At this point, it seems most scientist believe, or accept as the best theory, that mans CO2 emissions is causing the cycle to be more severe than it would have been naturally.
    No one really knows, but it is at least a valid theory until someone can convince enough scientists/politicians another theory is better.

I would like to see more serious debates/conferences addressing all the scientists opposing data. It seems the PC's have decided no one should learn any of this so it is not in the media. There is quite a lot on the net, though.

Kaya
    It does occur naturally. Mars is experiencing global warming, also, and there are no SUVs on Mars.