Growing up I have been brainwashed by the media about what success is. The media defines success as having power, have millions of dollars and being famous. I accepted what the media defines success until last summer, I was listening to music and the artist was questioning what the media portrayed what success is. He strongly dislike that celebrities get paid millions of dollars for acting immature in reality television and also for not contributing to the community. This was eye opening to me because I now think that the media definition of success is false for it’s nearly impossible for us low class and middle class people to have power money and fame. The only way they we can accomplish this impossible feat is if we’re sleeping and that won’t last really long because the average time a human being sleep is seven hours. Don’t get me wrong money is important in life; I have aspirations to have enough money to support my family. Edward L. Deci author of Why We Do What We Do wants us to have balance in extrinsic aspirations and intrinsic aspirations in order to live a happy life. You are probably thinking, “What in the world are extrinsic aspiration and intrinsic aspirations?” Deci says, “Extrinsic aspirations-the stuff the America Dream is made of. They were the aspirations for being wealthy, famous, and physical attractions. He also defines intrinsic aspirations, “they provide their own reward and help to satisfy people’s innate needs for commence, autonomy, and relatedness. These three were: having satisfying, making contributions to the community, making contributions to the community, and growing as individual” (2). My aspirations are balance because I have both extrinsic and intrinsic aspirations.