Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Olde One deEarthe Suhrim

anyone familiar with archaic german or the

indo-euro lang. tree--HELP ME PLEASE! hobby linguists are welcome! i looked up the etymology for the word "wright" in the american heritage collegiate dictionary. there was a reference to Julius Pokorny's Indogermanisches Etymologisches Worterbuch wrt "uerg". however, the u was over a tiny v-shaped symbol, and the g had above it that same v, but inverted. for reference, a v above an s denotes an "sh" sound. what is that u and g, though??? i've been looking online for days, and it's driving me up the wall, so please answer this soon!Thanks to superflyt1t71 for his help. However, the international symbol chart seemed to have every symbol EXCEPT for the two I'm looking for. I still copied it to my computer for reference in my other research, so THANKS, BOYA! I extended the expiriation date of this question, so the rest of you, Please Have At It!Thanks to BXCellent for his help, as well. That first link you gave is what was in my dictionary. The last reference was to Pokorny's works... and THAT is what i'm trying to learn about. The "uerg" he listed with those alterations below the "u" and above the "g" are what I'm trying to figure out how to pronounce. Wow.. that little Pokorny reference is turning out to be quite an irritating quandry!ohyah! Pleasure to be of service with y'angel question, BXCellent! hee hee! Sorry, jamesmusik84, but that's not quite what I was looking for... angled lines, not curved, were the ones that were used with the u and g. Maybe I'm just a moron and can't figure out how to properly read that chart that superflyt1t71 originally sent. I'll let i'll vote his as the best, as he's the first to send that loverly jpeg.

BXCellent
    I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from. Loved the answer to my angel question by the way. But wright is from the old english for worker - wryhta "worker," variant of earlier wyhrta, from wyrcan "to work". Maybe originating from the Old Norse yrkja, to work or greek organon tool. See sources.

www.bartleby.com

jamesmusik84
    The curved line under the u indicates that it is a non-syllabic vowel (w) forming a dipthong with e. The curve over the g seems to indicate that it should be aspirated. The only evidence I have of this is that, in the second source below, the other gutteral, k, is shown with it as the transcription for hunda.

upload.wikimedia.org