Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+

View Poll Results: h6GaF

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • yoVUyAjYEeZUdTfUOjk

0 0%
  • BBSKPVgSrjJSr

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Always Ariana

Whats a good introduction to my speech about myself?

My teacher said we can't start off saying 'Hi, my name is' and we have to be creative and not boring. Can u help me? I just need a one sentence intorduction example (the projects just about me and who i am).

Denise L
    I would start off with a personal anecdote. Mention a story that happened when you were younger. But if you want only a sentence, quotes work really well too.

b_friskey
    How about this...."One first impression people have of me is........."

ruth4526
    I am going to start my speech by telling you I am a teenage girl in 7th grade. OR I want to let you know I have a very interesting life so far.

Eva H
    speech class...i loved that class.
    heres a few ideas.

you could start out with a story from your childhood or something more recent...but it has to be something that changed you and molded you into who you are today.

You could start out with a question, which is one of my favorites...like...."To describe who I am, I would have to take you back to (childhood story here) where so and so happened and made me the (name here) i am today. without that event or person i would be somebody entirely different. but instead this event tilled up the soil of my being and planted new seeds that rooted and grew into the person i have become.
    (you get the idea...maybe not the seed thing but who knows...that might work for you...)

you could also start out with a quote from a person you know or a famous individual.

you could make it very pop styled and start with a quote from a hit song. and then detail how it describes you..

the possibilities are endless. But i agree with your teacher, Hi my name is... is a very rediculous way to start out a speech. You may never even need to say your name unless it is a requirement.
    hope everything goes well!

Unregistered
    Writing a good introduction
    A good paper introduction is fairly formulaic. If you follow a simple set of rules, you can write a very good introduction. The following outline can be varied. For example, you can use two paragraphs instead of one, or you can place more emphasis on one aspect of the intro than another. But in all cases, all of the points below need to be covered in an introduction, and in most papers, you don't need to cover anything more in an introduction.

Paragraph 1: Motivation. At a high level, what is the problem area you are working in and why is it important? It is important to set the larger context here. Why is the problem of interest and importance to the larger community?

Paragraph 2: What is the specific problem considered in this paper? This paragraph narrows down the topic area of the paper. In the first paragraph you have established general context and importance. Here you establish specific context and background.

Paragraph 3: "In this paper, we show that ...". This is the key paragraph in the intro - you summarize, in one paragraph, what are the main contributions of your paper given the context you have established in paragraphs 1 and 2. What is the general approach taken? Why are the specific results significant? This paragraph must be really really good. If you can't "sell" your work at a high level in a paragraph in the intro, then you are in trouble. As a reader or reviewer, this is the paragraph that I always look for, and read very carefully.

You should think about how to structure this one or two paragraph summary of what your paper is all about. If there are two or three main results, then you might consider itemizing them with bullets or in test (e.g., "First, ..."). If the results fall broadly into two categories, you can bring out that distinction here. For example, "Our results are both theoretical and applied in nature. (two sentences follow, one each on theory and application)"

Paragraph 4: At a high level what are the differences in what you are doing, and what others have done? Keep this at a high level, you can refer to a future section where specific details and differences will be given. But it is important for the reader to know at a high level, what is new about this work compared to other work in the area.

Paragraph 5: "The remainder of this paper is structured as follows..." Give the reader a roadmap for the rest of the paper. Avoid redundant phrasing, "In Section 2, In section 3, ... In Section 4, ... " etc.

A few general tips:

Don't spend a lot of time into the introduction telling the reader about what you don't do in the paper. Be clear about what you do do, but don't dwell here on what you don't do.
    Does each paragraph have a theme sentence that sets the stage for the entire paragraph? Are the sentences and topics in the paragraph all related to each other?
    Do all of your tenses match up in a paragraph?

Unregistered
    well i have to do this same thing and i am using... i do drugs do you?really gets there attention

Unregistered
    no!

mico z viri

Component grasias mister

gracias

Unregistered
    Why don't you start out like,Honestly I barely know myself.Why?Because I'm still yound and learning.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast