Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am paying for a 12 mbps internet connection, but I am only getting 1 mbps...

...download speeds. What's wrong? I have checked my router and modem, and they should work for well over 12 mbps. I am running Windows XP SP2(I'm not upgrading to SP3)on my main computer, and Windows Vista on another computer connected by a Wireless card. The two OS's seem to fight each other constantly, but I am sure that isn't the problem either.

Junior Member computer_surplus2005's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The 1st person doesnt know anything about speeds. The fastest ethernet card is 1000mbps or 1gbps and has been available for over 3yrs. THey run about $30 each the 1gbps is only good for network file transfers. You will never get that much from the interent. If your paying for 12mbps cable service you don't get the full 12mbps the only way to get the speed advertised is to get a dedicated line like DSL or the like. Cable is shared internet connection with the all people on the street that have cable internet with the same ISP. You don'tget the full 12mbps speeds. Thanks