While browsing flickr this morning I came across the following recipe. The picture alone is giving me sugar shock but I am so making it this weekend!
CHOCOLATE CARROT CAKE
For cake layers:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon each baking powder and baking soda
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
4 medium carrots, shredded coarse (about 2 cups)
For cream cheese frosting:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup confectioners’ or powdered sugar
For chocolate glaze:
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 ounces fine-quality BITTERSWEET chocolate
(not unsweetened)
6 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup confectioners’ or powdered sugar
CAKE LAYERS:
Preheat oven to 350ºF. and grease and flour two 9 by 2-inch round cake pans, knocking of excess flour. Into a bowl sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder. In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat together eggs and oil on low speed until combined well. Add flour mixture and beat until just combined. Stir in carrots and devide batter between pans. Bake cake layers in middle of oven 35 to 50 minutes, or until tester comes out clean. Cool cake in pans on a rack 10 minutes and invert onto rack to cool completely.

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
In a bowl with an electric mixer beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add vanilla and confectioners’ sugar and beat untl creamy. Spread frosting on top of 1 cake layer and top with other layer
CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
In a small saucepan combine glaze ingredients and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until chocolate is melted and glaze is smooth. Remove from heat and cool glaze slightly. Spread glaze over top and sides of cake and chill 1 hour, or until set. Serves 6 to 8.
[image used with permission from flickr user scubadive67]

Tags: Chocolate, chocolate carrot cake, Chocolate Links, chocolate-recipeShare This
</img>
</img> </img> </img> </img> </img> </img> </img> </img>
</img>