Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

removed worn out aftermarket car stereo including dash kit.?

hello everyone, my friend and i just spent a good hour and a half removing my failing stereo from my car along with the dash kit, since it was installed with the wrong mounting brackets, because the ones we needed were missing from the mounting kit we had to half ass it. now that i have all the stereo wires exposed from the universal wiring harness, what should i do first before i install a very good name brand stereo.. should i install the dash kit, or should i wire the stereo before i install it, after testing it of course? one more ? which brand dash kits would you recommend for a 1991 oldsmobile 88 royal? i appreciate any advice!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Metra makes the best dash kits in my opinion. Unfortunately for the Olds 88 they don't have brackets with the kits for that car. You have to use the factory brackets that came off of the factory radio. If you don't have these you will need to either find some at a junk yard or make your own out of backstrap or plumbers strap. Wire your harness into the car first. Test the radio. Then mount the radio to the kit (after attaching the brackets, factory or fabricated) and then mount the kit/radio in the dash.