Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Three knocks on the door?

I'm an 18-year-old female university student. Sometime in January of this year I was sitting at home, typing away on MSN. It was a typical weekday night for me - fast food, music, movies, MSN, a pig-sty-like apartment, my anxiety-depression-suicidal-whatever-the-hell-it-was disorder and alone-ness. I lived at home then; my father (the only other household) was abroad at the time.

Just as I was typing something to my friend, I heard three distinctive knocks on my door. I was so into the conversation that I "jumped" when the knocks distracted me. I quickly went to open the door, and as I opened it I saw no-one. I looked around - still no-one. I think I said something, perhaps called out "Anyone there?" or something along those lines, but I don't really remember. There was no-one. I tried to remember if I heard any fading footsteps or voices, but I was certain I didn't. I closed the door. For some reason I got quite scared. During that week while conversing with my best friend, I told her about my experience. Just then her tone of voice changed and she said "It was a ghost. There's a ghost here in Halifax [Canada, that is] that goes around knocking on doors. If it knocks three times, that'll mean you'll die. Watch out for the other two times." That scared me even more.

In the springtime when my father returned, we were sitting at our dining table and all of a sudden we both heard three distinct knocks on our door. I looked at Dad, Dad looked at me, and he got up to open the door. He looked in the eyehole and asked "Who is it?", but there was no answer. He opened the door but found no-one there. I was 100% certain I didn't hear any footsteps or voices because our dining table is separated only by a wall from the hallway, and the wall is very thin. Both Dad and I didn't know what to make of it.

I posted this question on Yahoo Answers yesterday and got an interesting reply: "The old wives tale says that if you hear three knocks and no one is there, someone you know passed away. My Grandma heard 3 knocks twice in one night at her door and that very morning she got a call from her sister telling her that 2 of her aunts had passed away in the night. I guess it's sort of your loved ones saying goodbye as they pass." The reason I found it interesting is because a couple of months after the "second time" my grandmother's sister passed. She was miles and miles away in Russia, whereas my father and I were/are in Canada. She was very loved by the whole family and was known for her kind heart. It was a very hard loss.

But why do you think this happened and what do you think it meant?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know about the urban legend story of a ghost.
    But...just because someone knocks at your door does not mean you have to answer it!
    If you have a peep hole and can see who is there and you don't know that person do not answer the door.
    If you don't have a peep hole and are not expecting anyone do not answer the door. If it is a person you know he/she will call.