Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question about Assisted Suicide and Religion?

What if your parent was gravely ill and after 10 seperate doctors all came to conclusion that there was no hope of recovery. Your parent would be in this state until he/she died but in constant pain.

Now the letter of the law of most religions would say they cannot kill themselves because suicide is wrong, etc, etc.

My question is that if God does things according to a plan...then are you not part of that plan? Are you not there to see the pain?

My question is could possibly God be testing YOU to see if you are willing to sin to release your parent from the pain, basically if you are willing to man up and get your hands dirty for the sake of your parent?

It is acknowledged that it is a virtue to sacrifice your life for another...what about accepting the sin of killing to bring mercy to a loved one?

I am in deep thought today and just curious I do not mean to preach or disturb..and if comes off that way I apolgize not my intention...just wondering what your thoughts are
    Fireball > doesn't really answer the question though...you would be the one ending someone else's life..so would not really be a suicide
    Floid > Let it out..don't censor yourself
    JohnFromNC> Well fine but proves you are not aware of most of the world. There are plenty of people in situations where painkillers do not work without causing other painful situations. Which is why I thought of this. Am I supposed to just sit there and watch if nothing can be done...or maybe am I part of the plan to end a person's suffering when there is no recourse.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Everything that comes upon us is for the trial of our faith; it is to see if we will remain reliable to Godīs will or not. As for sinning to make a right; we cannot proceed from sin to sin and thereby be justified. Whatsoever our cross is in life, we must bear it; some have a lighter cross, and some have a very heavy cross. Nevertheless His grace is sufficient for us; for His strength is made perfect in weakness.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What sick, demented deity would allow a being he "loves" to suffer through what some people do just to test them?

"possibly God be testing YOU to see if you are willing to sin to release your parent from the pain"

Sure God could be... in which case he is sick and demented and does not deserve my worship (although he has already proven that through the writings in the Bible). That is insanely perverse, the idea that an all powerful God would make you choose between ending the suffering of someone or "not sinning" and have them lie there and suffer...

I think we should end the use of painkillers too. God might be testing that person who has burns over 80% of their body, no reason to ease their pain and cheapen the test God is giving them, right?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think assisted suicide is humans being humane to humans.

Downloads
    Uploads
    His plan involves coming back to save as many as possible...

suicide is always wrong...

Downloads
    Uploads
    All I can think of is far we have fallen to even think up a hypothetical such as this. People can be comforted enough to allow death to occur on it's own. We don't need doctors speeding up the process. We don't need the threat of sin to have common sense and compassion is these rare cases.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In my personal opinion sometimes it is better to let a person go if they are that gravely I'll and all doctors agree that they have no chance of recovery. I think in that case the family needs to put they're want to keep the person alive secondary to if its actually possible for the person to recover. That being said I really dont believe that God has anything to do with this I think we do have a god but that he made us and left us to our own vises to be the judges of these types of situation so I think its more a matter of choosing to be selfless or selfish and realising that life and death is a natural cycle one that we do have a part in and think about it this way even if you are a person who believes in god having a divine plan doesn't that mean that he knows that the person is going to die and that he lets it happen wether it is through a mercy killing or other means