have had a loss of voice for almost 1 1/2 months now. 1st my dr thought it was an upper respiratory infection as i slept for almost 3 days (when I was not working) at the onset of ny dilemma; then in 1 eve i developed a little tickle & a slight cough, by the end of the evening my cough had increased to almost non-stop,. so, by the time my app. came around i had also lost my voice ( not completely, mostly down to a sort of whisper or a squeak) ; i was prescribed amoxacillan. returning to the dr after a week, the cough was so bad, I was choking, gaging & vomiting, & still could not quit coughing. then the dr decided it may be pneumonia; so off i went for x-rays, & he changed my med to a stronger penicillin for ten days. it also happened to be time for blood work for my thyroids. the next week i went in for results: x-rays found nothing; but my thyroid levels were almost doubled. now those meds were increased & we're doing more blood work to keep a closer eye. also waiting to see a ear-nose& throat dr. but i am not coughing as much per the cough med, though i still do not have my voice back. sometimes there is nothing there at all.