Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

really weird fear...? what can I do?

Ok, so every night I get this really odd fear of wetting the bed. I just imagine myself waking up and being soaked and how embarrassing that would be. It keeps me awake too. I go to the bathroom constantly every 10 minutes before I finally just get so tired I fall asleep before I can get up again.

even if I don't have to go I still get up, just in case. I've never ever wet the bed in my life but for some reason I have that fear. It's so weird and it keeps me awake. And like I tell myself "you aren't going to wet the bed. Just relax and go to sleep" but it never works like that. It's a habit. what can I do about it? How can I realize I am not going to wet the bed?

Junior Member canada_winnipeg_man's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The best thing to do is first realize why you’re feeling this way. Then, take positive steps to help yourself feel better. That means doing something that’s good for you every single day.
    Listen to music, read, make plans with friends, and join a club. Anything that gives you pleasure and makes you feel good about yourself. You should also exercise or play a sport regularly. Not only is exercise good for you physically, it causes your body to release chemicals called “endorphins.” These give you a “natural high”, and can make you feel better. Even just walking regularly can give you a boost.

Other people find it helps to write in a journal, talk with friends, draw, or find other creative ways to express, understand and then let go of your negative emotions.
    Just be sure you don’t look for relief in the wrong places. Sometimes, people think having sex will make them feel better about themselves. That almost always backfires, especially if you have sex with someone you barely know. You’ll just end up feeling empty afterward.
    Drugs and alcohol are big mistakes. You might get some short-term escape, but in the long run you’ll end up feeling worse. So, stick with the natural solutions. There’s plenty out there.
    Now, if you do all this and that “blah” feeling sticks with you for more than a couple of weeks – and certainly, if it feels like it’s getting worse, it’s time to get some help. These feelings can get worse and you might start to feel like they’re spinning out of control.

Talk to your parents or other trusted adult. If you don’t feel like you can go to your parents with this problem, try the school counselor, a teacher, neighbor, or other family member. There are also plenty of free or low-cost counseling centers available in most towns. Check your phone book under “counseling” or “mental health” or call your doctor, local mental health board, or hospital for a referral. You can also find a trustworthy counselor on the Web site.
    The best thing to do is reach out and get some help. Don’t try to go through this alone.