I have been going to the dentist since I was little. I was always uncomfortable about it but could still go. I'm 19 yrs old now and it seems that within the last 2 years or less I have developed a phobia? of the dentist (only getting fillings though, teeth cleaning isn't as bad). Whenever I go to the dentist, I don't seem to get very numb and when he starts to drill out my tooth it's SOO painful! Its like non-stop pain while he's doing the work even after he gives me like 7 shots! Ive heard how some dentists put you under to do the work but thats out of the question for me because its more money I dont have.
Ive had appointments but cancelled every one because the week before the appointment I would get nervous, shake, be on the verge of tears, the painful drilling is all I could think about. I did switch to a new dentist and this Thursday is going to be my first appointment with him...do you think this might help with my fear..trying a different dentist because ive had the same one for 19 years?
My family members think im overreacting and being very childish about it all because they have never had problems at this dentist. They always say "you were fine all these years what's so different now?" It makes me feel kinda of stupid but there is nothing I can do about it, I cant change the way I feel....

Does anyone have this same fear?
What should I do to make going to the dentist easier?!

Is there anything I can do beforehand to make the experience less painful?

please help