Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

My sister needs a lung transplant, but is very afraid of having the surgery?

My little sister is 16 and has Cystic Fibrosis. She has very low lung function and has had countless infections, she is in need of a double lung transplant and is on the list for it, we could be notified at any time if a pair of lungs become available for her, we don't know when though. She's greatly afraid (it would be a long and risky surgery), its all she can think about, she's worried to death practically. How can I make her feel less nervous? What about when she actually has to go in for the surgery, how could I ease her fears then? I'm really close to her so I dont like to see her afraid. Any suggestions?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It seems like your giving her all the support you can give, I salute you on that, that is extremely important..to let her know that her loved ones are there for her. If you could let her know that being afraid is perfectly normal, that would be great. Lastly, make sure all her questions about the surgery are answered. Im sure the nurses can help you on this subject. Knowledge is empowering and it will help decrease the anxiety.