I am 14 years old and i have just been offered an insulin pump, which i am very happy about by my diabetic nurse. I can get one free, because i live in Britain and we have a National Health Service that pays for such treatments. im going to be getting it within the next few weeks; so, im going to be getting in the middle of term time.
How long does it take to get running? is it very long, because i am very worried of something going completely wrong in the middle of school time within the first few weeks of getting it; and there is nobody else at my school with an insulin pump (Out of 780 girls), because they're very hard to get in England at the moment.
and my second question; should i have a couple of weeks off of PE (Physical Education/Gym), to get used to the fact of having the pump? because i am very nervous of taking it out without nobody there to support me or guide me through what to do.
Oh, and should i be worried about what people think of a machine on my skirt and a tube going into my stomach (i know the tube does not go into your stomach, but it will look like it)? I am definitely going to be clipping it onto my skirt, and i wont be able to cover it; because the rest of my school uniform (remember, i am in England) does not cover the top of my skirt and i dont want a cover/waistband sort of thing.. I dont care what people think of me, but there is another girl at school who has a pump sort of thing because she needs a liver transplant and she has a tube going into her stomach and there is always a lot of speculation about it; and i dont really want to be spoken about behind my back.

If you would like to tell me anything else about having a pump; please do.
thankyou