Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Junior Member lightning_crashes's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I started bleeding from my mouth when I was purging, should I be nervous?

I know purging is bad! I hadn't done it in four months, and then of course I purged my dinner... but that's not the major problem right now. When I was purging I took my finger out and there was blood on it. It made me really nervous and for the past few days my throat has been hurting badly. I think it might be hurting because I'm getting a cold but I'm not sure! I am just curious what the blood could be?!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Typically, I'd relieve your worries by saying if you're coughing a lot your throat could just be raw and bleeding, it happens it's normal. In fact, the blood could very well be from your throat just being raw because purging does that as well. This could seriously damage your vocal cords.

However, the fact that you have a history of purging makes me suspect other wise. Purging can damage the stomach and the lining of the esophagus, thus causing you to purge blood, which can be very dangerous to your health. Besides the blood coming from your esophagus and your stomach, it could also be from the rawness to your throat, likely a combination of the three.

You also mentioned that you think your throat is raw because you're catching a cold. When you purge, not only are you chucking up the fat and carbs that can increase weight, you're also chucking up vital nutrients and proteins and vitamins that are necessary to keep you healthy. When your body lacks enough of these nutrients, proteins, and vitamins, your immune system can become extremely weakened, thus causing you to catch a cold from purging.

I absolutely urge you to go see a doctor. Bulimia can ruin your life, and it sounds like it's already well on your way there. All of these symptoms sound closely related and I honestly think you should seek medical help before something worse happens. Purging such nutrients/vitamins/proteins can also weaken muscles, like your heart. It is not uncommon for someone with bulimia to die from a heart attack.

Please, go see a doctor, I'm positive you are a beautiful individual, inside and out, and you have something to offer this world, and much to enjoy, whether you've realized it or not (and eventually, you will, honest.)

Take care.

P.S.- Check the website in my sources, look at the chart of the girl under "What are the symptoms?". It's got an explanation of the blood.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are so many reasons why purging your food isn't a healthy thing to do ... of course you know this, but like any bad habit i know it will take time and desire to stop. when you purge you are bringing up stomach acid. this acid was not meant to be in your throat. especially over and over again. the acid has worn away the lining of your esophagus which can lead eventually to all sorts of horrid diseases. this is where the blood is coming from. stomach acid will also eat away at the enamel on your teeth leading to cavities. and will also cause gum disease. it can get to the point where it is irreversible. you can go months w/out purging but some damage has already been done. so, when you wait 4 months and purge again you are running stomach acid over preexisting soars on your throat. if you want to stop before your teeth fall out and you end up with some horrible mouth disease, (you may be skinny, but how pretty will you be w/out teeth?), there are many self help groups and support groups in every state, every town, city and so on which can help you to get better. most of us have habits that aren't healthy but this worries me more than most. i know you didn't ask for me to preach. but society makes me so mad cuz it is so hard on women. tv always tells us that we smell bad, need to dye our hair to cover our age, get botox injections, go to work and raise the kids and stay 20 forever! and of course never put any weight on at all ever! look gaining weight is a part of life. as we get older it just happens. but just stay active and your body will adjust. i'm sorry, it's just that i'm sure you're pretty and i wish you felt good about yourself. best wishes. and again, i'm sorry to run on and be preachy. i mean well.