Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do I get rid of poison ivy?

I have poison ivy on my fingers! And it scratches really bad so I know not to scratch it because that will spread it. I put Aveeno aint-itch cream on. But I want something that will get rid of it. Also if I can't find something to get rid of it, how long will it take for it to just go away?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you certain that it is poison ivy? It's possible that it is hand herpes (frequently acquired in places like gyms). See a doctor for certain.

However, in the case of poison ivy it is more likely that you will just have to endure it.

Here are some things that can help. Calamine lotion to help dry it. Try not to wet them too much because water spreads it. Since you're female be especially careful when you use the bathroom. Maybe you should invest in some disposable gloves.
    For itching Benadryl helps.

If you see a doctor he/she can prescribe some hydroxyzine which is like an industrial strength benadryl for the itching and maybe some prednisolone (steroid) for the swelling and itching. Depending on how extensive your case is he could prescribe an antibiotic.