Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How can a little girl run faster?

My little sister is sad because she has to run in front of others in gym class and she always comes in last place. She's not overweight. The only physical activity she gets outside of school is a badminton class twice a week. She tries to make excuses to get out of it, and I don't want her to be discouraged from physical activity because she's not good. From what I've noticed, she does seem to flail her arms a little too much.

Downloads
    Uploads
    take her out doors to play every day,

raph r
    bionic legs? ask mr. rudd.

raph r
    bionic legs? ask mr. rudd.

Bond
    probably more white fibers than red. She might be a good long distance runner when shes a bit older though.

Some people have more red fibers that enable short, fast bursts of energy, ie Sprinters, Shotputters. Some have more white fibers than red, which help with conditioning. Kenyans are a good example, theyre stereotyped as great long distance runners, as well they should.

But thats only genetics, if she wants to improve upon her genetics, she needs to run fast, do short, sharp bursts of energy with rest intervals to improve her fibres.

Also running form has a lot to do with speed, if shes flailing all over the place that will reduce speed. Get her to run in a straight line, like on a railroad track, knees up high and a slight forward lean, Also make sure her arms power her legs, they should be at the sides, straight up and down. Arms add power, making you run faster.

Thats the basics to sprinting form, but as I said, she may be genetically more suited to long distance running, and some people are just unfortunately not good athletes.

She really shouldnt care at her age, i assume shes around 10 years old?

In primary school I used to do mediocre in sprints, that turned around in about grade 5, I won the 100m regularly as well as the 200m and did slightly less well at the 400m

I know that I have a lot of red fibers, because even at peak fitness, I had trouble with the 800m, let alone cross country.

But I am a natural sprinter, so like I said, genetics do play a part, but encourage her to do whatever she wants, as you wont practise something you hate.

Bond
    probably more white fibers than red. She might be a good long distance runner when shes a bit older though.

Some people have more red fibers that enable short, fast bursts of energy, ie Sprinters, Shotputters. Some have more white fibers than red, which help with conditioning. Kenyans are a good example, theyre stereotyped as great long distance runners, as well they should.

But thats only genetics, if she wants to improve upon her genetics, she needs to run fast, do short, sharp bursts of energy with rest intervals to improve her fibres.

Also running form has a lot to do with speed, if shes flailing all over the place that will reduce speed. Get her to run in a straight line, like on a railroad track, knees up high and a slight forward lean, Also make sure her arms power her legs, they should be at the sides, straight up and down. Arms add power, making you run faster.

Thats the basics to sprinting form, but as I said, she may be genetically more suited to long distance running, and some people are just unfortunately not good athletes.

She really shouldnt care at her age, i assume shes around 10 years old?

In primary school I used to do mediocre in sprints, that turned around in about grade 5, I won the 100m regularly as well as the 200m and did slightly less well at the 400m

I know that I have a lot of red fibers, because even at peak fitness, I had trouble with the 800m, let alone cross country.

But I am a natural sprinter, so like I said, genetics do play a part, but encourage her to do whatever she wants, as you wont practise something you hate.