Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How can a doctor be certain a CVA (stroke) has occurred.?

I was seen in A&E 4 days ago as I had become unwell at work. The doctor said I may have had a 'mini stroke' and he would arrange for me to be seen in out patients. I went home and within an hour had a phone call asking me to attend clinic the next morning. I went and was seen by a consultant physician who, after some questioning and prodding sent me for an immediate CT scan. She got the results there and then and said the scan was ok but that I had had a full stroke the day before and that it had happened in the back of the brain. How can she say this if the scan was ok? I have some numbness around the lip and a slight droop of the lip but that is all. I declined to be admitted for a lumbar puncture but have to have further tests including MRI on Monday.

I feel a bit overwhelmed as I don't feel ill, just a bit 'wooly'....does this sound more like a mini stroke or something like Bells Palsy rather than a stroke. I ask because of the medications she wants me to take.

Downloads
    Uploads
    symptoms can be a stronger indication of a stroke rather than the CT brain scan itself. in fact it has been said that a stroke does not show up straight away on a brain scan. considering you have numbness around your lips and a droop it definitely sounds like you had a stroke. the MRI should give more indepth details. I wish you the best with your recovery.