I have social anxiety and I am not sure what to do about it. I haven't told anyone about it. I am 17 and will be a senior this year. I want to tell my parents about it but it is just awkward to tell them because I feel like a freak and I don't think that they will understand. I don't have any friends to talk to because my friend since grade school goes to a different school and never has time to talk to me or either that she doesn't want to talk to me (not sure which one). And the only other person I had to talk to graduated in the spring.
I would really love to get over it because it takes the fun out of high school and beings it's my senior year I really want to have a great year. I just don't know what to do to help myself get over it. This year I am going to try to go to dances and stuff at school. But every year I promise myself I am going to change or join a club or something like that but every year I always chicken out.

Should I approach my parents about it or should I just try to get over it on my own and if I do approach them how should I do it. I just really want to get over it but I don't know how.