Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you just outgrow your acne?

I've had acne since I was about 15; I'm a few months shy of 22 now. I've been on prescriptions (Tazorac and Cephalexin) for three years now. My acne's pretty much under control and I have very little of it if I take all my pills. The most annoying thing now is that my skin is so oily. Even though I don't have many pimples, I've still got the oil and shine.

At one point this year I thought I just about "grew out" of my acne. Pimples were virtually non-existant and my skin didn't seem as oily. But then I missed a few days of my pills and got a moderate break-out. Clearly I'm not over it yet.

None of my parents or other adults in my family have adult acne. My brother (25) had pretty bad acne that was much worse than mine. He went on Accutane and it really helped him. My dermatologist even said Accutane would be too strong for my case. He doesn't take anything for his acne anymore but he still has some. But he did have acne bad as a teen and still has scars and pock marks from it on his face.

Do you think I'll just outgrow my acne someday? How was it for you--did just one day you notice your acne was becoming less frequent and then none at all?

Downloads
    Uploads
    As far as I know, it depends on the cause of your acne. I have acne (I am 28) and the doctors I've seen reckon I will never grow out of it because my acne is hormonal. I take the pill to keep it under control and it works quite well.

The best thing you can do is to get your dermalologist's advice regarding how long you need to stay on the meds. HOWEVER, that being said, I would prefer to see a female dermatologist for the simple reason that they understand better about how is to be a girl and how important it is for us that our skins look good, without scarring.

As far as the oilyness is concerned, I have found that the following REALLY helps me: you need to moisturise (this may seem counter-intuitive, but if your skin does not have enough moisture it starts producing excess oil to lubricate the skin). After I have put moisturiser on I use a vanishing cream (I use one by Ponds). Vanishing cream is super cheap, plus you only have to use a little and it really works like a charm at getting rid of oil.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cant answer that sorry, never had acne.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You may outgrow your present situation, but - as I have found from experience - there will always be little problems. I'm over 50, and I still get the occasional pimple.
    Simply keeping clean helps more than anything, but there is such a thing as too much scrubbing.

Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    no way cheeze wizz

Downloads
    Uploads
    you can't overgorw acne. you have to get really of it i use stridex. and i work really good but you have to use it for away.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nope, they out grow you and when they do it is nasty.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i hope one day you will but i am 33 years young and still get acne and it sucks i always thought that i wouldn't get acne anymore once i got older but that isn't the case i also thought that if i stop eating chocolate and pop i wouldn't get acne anymore and still no luck i guess some people are stuck with it. you should try that pro active stuff it does on most oily skins