Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

can toothpaste/mouthwash contribute to enamel erosion and decay?

I've been to my dentist a ridiculous amount of times in the past 2 year, having over 13 cavities filled and always been told the same thing, that I am not brushing enough.

But I brush my teeth, plus floss and use mouthwash. I even started using a cream supplement prescribed by the dentist. I have notice the more I brush, the weaker my teeth get. It is destroying the protective layers on my teeth and contributing to the cavities. So it is not a matter of brushing my teeth anymore. The toothpaste and dental treatments is actually causing me more problems.

Think about it..toothpaste has a fairly high acidity level and contains things like sucrose, fructose, sucralose, saccharin, and glycerin. These are terrible for your teeth. And using too much flouride toothpaste can cause flouridosis which causes enamel/dentin problems and discoloration of the teeth. Mouthwash often contains a high amount of alcohol which can upset your gums and definately harm teeth. It is no surpise i have gingivitis too, after using mouthwash faithfully for years.
    Ok, so my parents have very good teeth..they rarely get cavities. Also I do not smoke or drink. I eat pretty healthy.. I avoid sugary foods, eat lots of vegetables etc. I probably do not get enough calcium however. Ty

Downloads
    Uploads
    everything you said about toothpaste is false. To much flouride is only a problem if you are drinking your toothpaste. If you are swallowing your toothpaste, STOP. Do you smoke? What do you eat? that is kind of important.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some mouthwash has sugar in, which normally, doesn't help your teeth. They also have chemicals in them which are meant to wash your mouth, but could probably harm your teeth. As for toothpaste and flossing: fine.
    Don't ask me how I know.

Cloud-

Downloads
    Uploads
    It could be an allergic reaction to something you are eating, or brushing with. Change brands of toothpaste regularly and/or mouthwash/floss.

Mouthwash, toothpaste, floss, and other teeth treatments are supposed to make teeth better, but there are some few (like you) That could have worse reactions. Don't blame the toothpaste the whole way though. It actually probably Is not the toothpaste in my point of view. Make sure you brush at minimum twice a day ((Morning and night) I suspect you already have, so it could be something you are eating, like gum.