Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+

Thread: blood in semen?

missy p
    see the doc

Josh G

blood in semen?

I had sexual intercourse with my girlfriend. i did not use any protection and after I ejaculated, I noticed that the sheets were stained with blood spots.At first I thought that the blood might have come from her, but later i noticed that the stains on the sheets were spurted from the ejaculation, confirming that the blood was from my semen.Is there anything to be panic?

bumblebee
    Blood in the semen -- also known as hematospermia -- can be a very alarming symptom. However, the good news is that bloody semen is almost never a sign of a serious underlying medical problem.

Possible sources for blood in the semen include the following:

Urinary tract infections;

Prostatitis;

Sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea or chlamydia;

Benign prostate hypertrophy;

Surgical procedures such as prostate biopsy or bladder catheterization;

Trauma to the testicles or prostate;

Cancer of the prostate, bladder or reproductive organs.

In most cases, bleeding presumably follows damage to small blood vessels in the urinary tract or prostate gland. This may come from minor trauma or irritation, or growth of normal blood vessels. Small amounts of blood may linger in the semen for weeks, but almost all cases resolve on their own. While on the list of possible sources, it's very rare for bleeding to come from a serious cause such as cancer. This is particularly true for men under the age of 40.

Young men who have a single episode of bleeding that goes away on its own generally need no evaluation other than an examination by your doctor and a urine specimen. A more thorough work-up may be worthwhile in older men, or in men who have persistent or recurring episodes of bleeding. Such a work-up might include cystoscopy, an ultrasound of the bladder and prostate, or a prostate biopsy. However, most of these evaluations will be entirely normal. In fact, even after extensive testing, it's unusual for a specific cause of the bleeding to be identified.

Urology
    Well, not sure at the moment, you really need to consult your health care provider earliest as possible. You could have a sympton of an STD or infection.

♥ t a Y l o R
    Better call the doc to be sure!

cmb5283
    My ex-boyfriend had this a few times actually...once it was pure blood almost. He had bad urinary tract infections both times but had no symptoms except this.

He went to the doctors and was tested for STD's and other things, that's how they found out.

tredd
    Blood in ejaculated semen (hemospermia) is relatively uncommon and rarely serious. In most cases, the cause can't be determined, and the problem goes away without treatment. However, known causes of blood in semen include inflammation, infection and blockage or injury to the prostate gland or seminal vesicles. Also, following a prostate biopsy, it is common to have blood-tinged semen for four or five subsequent ejaculations.

A doctor may be able to determine the cause of blood in semen based on:

Physical examination
    Urine tests (urinalysis)
    Blood tests
    Treatment is directed at the underlying cause when possible. If a man notices blood in his semen, he should consult his doctor.