Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is Anorexia A Mental Illness?

Is it classified as one? I was watching a show about anorexics and they had this girl who was afraid of gaining weight and looking fat. She said that she hated her fat butt and her fat hips; but she was nothing more than literally skin and bones with no meat at all.

Since they obviously feel and see things differently about themselves that are not true, is anorexia a mental disorder?

Downloads
    Uploads
    i guess it depends on how you look at it. i guess officially it isnt because its not really mental. mental illness usually means your mind is not control you, whereas this is a conscious thought and conscious actions based on those thoughts. anorexia is based on a voluntary rejection of food... so its not that they do it because its mentally right to them, but rather they have decided that its right to do it, and its their motivation. i guess you would call it "severe diet".

they dont see and feel things differently: they may really be fat, they may really think they are... its not that they see it differently, its just that they have a different perfect image... so no i dont think its classified as one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    its called a body morphis disorder it is a mental illness...do u honestly think that a mentally healthy person could starve themselvbes to death????? an anorexic can