Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hunting regulations in texas?

Hello everybody,

I am currently living in NE Ft. Worth, Texas, and I have always been an outdoors-man. I have fished many areas around the metroplex, but I have lately been getting into researching possible hunting locations. I travel to Denton for work daily, and noticed that there are several locations that look like decent hunting spots. In Argyle, there are some decent spots, but I've had my eye on the Lyndon B Johnson Grasslands for a possible hunting location. I don't know of anybody that owns private land down south, so I can't go down there for hunting. I am really novice when it comes to the rules and regulations on hunting on public lands. I have a hunting/fishing liscense that covers I received as an Active Duty Soldier, and as far as I'm concerned, I can pretty much hunt anything legally. My questions are this:

1. Where are some good places to hunt in the metroplex that aren't overcrowded?

2. What is good game to take considering my weapons?

3. Most importantly, what are the rules and regulations regarding hunting in areas such as the LBJ Grasslands? I don't have a hunter's safety course, so where do I get such a course?

4. Please include any links to the rules and regs of hunting on public lands.

Thank you very much for your responses.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Matt. That is a really complex question and you do not say what firearms you would use (for hunting wildlife we call them firearms). I think your best option would be to call Texas Parks and Wildlife and pose your questions to them. They will be glad to help you, it's their job, it's what they are there for.

Or, stop by the TPW regional office at 5400 Airport Freeway. It's in NE Ft Worth, should be convenient to where you live. Their phone number is (817) 831-3128.

You may not be able to hunt anything legally. Be sure and tell them what game animals you intend to hunt. Some game animals and birds require special stamps in addition to your regular hunting license.

Good luck. Thank you for your service to our country.