Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What's your opinion on parents who allow their kids to use gadgets?

I was in a coffee shop today and I saw a 3-5 year old carrying an Ipad and playing some violent shooting video games on it. I've noticed this a couple of times throughout the past year or so.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't agree with letting a 3-5 year old child play violent video games. I don't see anything wrong with letting them use electronics sometimes and play age-appropriate games, just as long as it's not all they ever do. They should still be encouraged to play outside and get exercise and do creative things as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's really none of my business why they have one. If they were using it to do something terrible (like take pictures of other students in school to embarass them and you were the teacher) then you would need to intervene and maybe take it away from them. A person in a coffee shop who doesn't even know the kid doesn't have anything to do with the sitaution. I really don't think a 4 year old NEEDS an ipad, but how is it having such a great impact on me if he does?

EDIT: I just wanted to add that the only reason I didn't have a laptop, cell phone and ipad as a kid is because it hadn't been invented yet. I had a desktop computer (which was in the living room), a discman, and plenty of nintendo stuff. That *was* the newest technology at the time. Now, instead of a discman, I have an ipod. Instead of a desktop I have a laptop and I have a cell phone. I will be 24 next month.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't mind use of gadgets. It's not like this is a brand new concept anyways. I had a gameboy (the original one) and sega game gear (haha remember that one) as a young girl. So this almost 30 years ago. I'm really not on board with violent games, but I find the interactive books and flashcards on my(not my kids') android tab and ipad to be fantastic tools and a good last resort distraction in certain situations.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The gadget will soon be destroyed.

Oh yeah and kids barely go outside anymore to play which is why kids are so darn obese nowadays.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a part of life now. There is no difference between that and the shooting video games kids used to only play at home. My son is 3.5 years old and I let him play games or watch tv on my iPhone when we are out in public and he needs to be quiet. I find it to be quite convenient! He is entertained and me and the rest of the poor people in the waiting room don't need to hear him whining and trying to escape because he is bored of the coloring book and puzzle we brought.

Junior Member KidtruckerTerpenning's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just let in good NOSY!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got a new smart phone and my 4 yr old showed me how to call out on it. How he figured it out, I will never know because it doesn't just jump out at you. I took him to the doctor and yes, I did hand him my phone so that he could play games because they were redecorating the office and didn't have tables for the coloring book and crayons they gave him and he doesn't like laying on the floor.

Gadgets are here to stay, as evidenced by the fact that they have only become more advanced over the years. So, you go right ahead and put your kids at a disadvantage....because that is all you'd be doing.

As for "violent" shooting games, personally I have no problem with shooting games because they have been around forever. I used to play "Asteroids" on my dad's Atari. They can also kill all the zombies they want. What I don't allow is whatever the game it is that decided it would be okay to allow "rape" as a feature. So you see, some parents do have boundaries. I just refuse to toss the baby with the bathwater.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't see the issue with children using technology. It's in every day life, it's unavoidable. I highly doubt the iPad was the child's. I expect "mommy" or "daddy" wanted five minutes peace and handed it to the child to keep them quiet.

I don't really see the issue.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I see it as fine. My daughter who is eight has an ipod, cell phone and kindle. It probably has to do with her older siblings. She is sure growing up to fast.