Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What is the best kitchen gadget/appliance to slice even vegetables and meats

(from paper thin to thicker)? I've never used a mandoline, food processor, or electric kitchen slicer and the options are a bit overwhelming. I'd like the most versatile appliance with the least possibility of slicing off my fingers. I'm willing to spend money on a quality addition to my kitchen, but I don't expect to slice pound upon pound of veggies every day. I'm really looking for thin, even slices for my new food dehydrator that I can't quite seem to accomplish with my knife.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A mandolin is the best appliance for slicing meats and veggies, especially different thicknesses - but, slicing your finger is pretty easy to do; and it isn't versatile for anything else. A food processor will do all sorts of things, and my 14-cup Cuisinart is the 2nd-most used appliance in my kitchen (after espresso machine) - but you can only slice veggies the thickness of the blade, and they have to be cut into pieces that will fit into the chute....