My 10 year old step-daughter really wants an IPOD touch. I personally think she is way to young to have such an expensive device. She really doesn't treat her stuff badly or not take care of her things, but she doesn't do the best job either. She went threw 3 pairs of glasses in one year!

I feel that it is way too much for a 10 year, and that she really doesn't need one. We got he a little inexpensive MP3 player for Christmas and maybe if she takes care of it then next year we might get her a more expensive one, but not an IPOD touch. My husband feel bad that she can't have one. He says that if she lived with us then she might have gotten one, but he is not going to buy her one to take to her mom's because she doesn't take care of stuff there (BTW this wasn't discussed in front of her).
I personally think even if she lived with us or didn't or whatever that a $200+ gadget is too much for a 10 year old. Maybe a 14 or 15 year old if they showed responsibility. My daughter wont be having expensive gadget at that age!

What do you think? At what age do you feel is appropriate for most kids to have expensive gadget and items?
mccrmy: I am not sure your answer makes much sense.

We are not trying to buy her love, we lover her for who she is and she loves us for being her parents.
And we got her a MP3. We plan on downloading music on to it before she goes home, so she has some to listen to. He and I made a list of songs the other day. I told her I wanted to know what kind of music she listen to. And I asked her mom if she knew how to down load music for her and she says she does. She is not allowed at my house to have unsupervised computer time.