Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Senior Citizens, have you had to replace a lot electrical gadgets at the...

...same time and how do? the new ones compare with the performance of the ones you've recently had to discard (which you possibly had for a long time).

I have recently had to buy a new microwave oven, toaster, sandwich toaster and kettle. I am not happy with any one of them. The microwave is a 650w so I was not expecting it to be as quick as my previous 800w one but this takes ages just warm a mug of milk to make my coffee. My toaster toasts one side more than the other but poorly. If I turn them over and put it back on I dare not move away from it and I need to flip the switch at the first hint or burning. The sandwich toaster cooks just the middle of the slices and leaves all 4 corners cold with raw cheese and onion there. The kettle spits out water when I place it back on the stand unless I just put one cupful in. If I have a guest and wish to make two cups I have to do them separately because, after pouring the first, and turning the kettle upright, it spits out some water so I have to boil one cup of water at a time so I can always replace an empty kettle on the stand. All these items were bought in the space of one month. The first three were 'value' brands but the kettle was not.

I could make toast or cheese and onion on toast under the grill but could not move far from it. Same applies if I use a kettle on the gas hob. The microwave I have to leave for about double the expected time which beats the idea of them being so quick. Is this common with the newer versions or do you think I've just been extremely unfortunately and have ended up with the 'rogue' one from a batch of each of these things?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought a cheap microwave about 3 or 4 months ago and regretted it after the first use. It won't be long before I'll buy another and I will certainly go up market this time and probably ask around a little to see what others think of the more expensive ones they bought.

It is very disappointing when we replace something and find that there is no similarity to the previous one. I found that a couple of years ago when I had to have a new sewing machine also but it does what little sewing has to be done now so I won't be changing that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I found over the years that when one "something" goes permanently out, I can expect at least one more, usually more than one will bite it at the same time!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stove, fridge and dishwasher, Garbage disposal went out too,but didn't replace it. So far so good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The microwave is a 650w should be a 1100 w. Who needs a kettle when you can heat in the microwave.
    Never used a sandwich toaster I use my trusty frying pan and they come out perfect every time I got a 4 slice chefmate toaster from Target works great