Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What should I look for on the nutrition labels?

Okay I know basic things like calories and that sodium makes you retain water Carbs are sugars that provide quick energy but what does all of this really mean? I would like to lose some weight to become healthy but I don't want to just "diet" I need to learn to eat healthy in a healthy lifestyle not just for a few months. So can someone please take time to explain this all to me. I've tried researching but I just get a bunch of different answers and it is very overwhelming and discouraging. No Links.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You want to look for food that doesn't have too much saturated fat, cholesterol or sodium (for your heart) as well as food that contains vitamins and minerals.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is good, because I don't like the word "diet" anyway. That's because every eating habit is a "diet."
    Eating healthy takes more, because "dieting" as people view it isn't always healthy. Many diet programs are not healthy.

If you are counting calories, which you really don't need to do, carbohydrates should be the most of all the macronutrients (those are the fats, proteins, and carbohydrates). Protein should only consist of 15-30% of the total calorie count for the day, and fats being the least amount. Again, most people don't count calories, and you don't really need to. Just be aware of them, and what you are eating. The micronutrients are the vitamins and minerals which many people neglect, but are just as, if not, more important than the macronutrients. These do not need to be counted either. Just be aware that you are getting all of them. To do that you will need to eat a variety of food, including lots of vegetables. Milk is NOT a good source of calcium, because the high quantity of animal protein in milk causes milk to change our blood pH to becoming acidic. This causes the depletion of calcium to neutralize the acid. Cow's milk has the reverse affect on bone health from what we are taught. An alternative is Almond Milk. I have been using that for more than 5 years. I have no had any product containing cow's milk for more than five years. Almond Milk contains more calcium, and it less acidic to our body. Completely stay away from "Trans Fat." If the product contains any, don't get it. There is no benefit of consuming trans fat. Trans fat is the worst type of all, because it can be in liquid form which allows it to travel anywhere, and stick to arteries. Trans Fat is the cause of coronary artery disease.

Things you want to look for in the ingredients...if the words "partially hydrogenated..." are anywhere on there, don't eat it. If "Aspartame" is listed in the ingredients, do not eat it. Aspartame is often found in soft drinks. Stay away from "High Fructose Corn Syrup." Food items with ingredients; such as, red 40...do not get. It is unclear from a scientific stand point if these are harmless to us, or not. There isn't enough support evidence to prove either way. The primary rule that I like to use when teaching one about the ingredients is if you are unsure about any of the ingredients, if you cannot say it, and don't know what it is, don't get it. You wouldn't put some unknown substance in your car's gas tank, so why do it to your body

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nutrition