Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Convert Salvaged Title to a Regular Title on Suzuki GSXR Bike. It was totaled

because of a technicality.? I laid down my bike and the only reason the insurance company wanted to total it was due to a scratch on the frame where the handle bar-end came out and slide under the bike. There were other easily fixable damages like the clutch lever, shifter, foot peg, and fairing which I repaired. There is seriously only a scratch on the frame and they considered it "structural damage". I even rode the bike home after the accident with no problems other than finding another spot to rest my foot. The bike mechanics I checked with told me that the structure and durability had not been compromised when the looked at it.
    The insurance company gave me the option to total it or they could repair it without totaling it. Well, at the time, getting rid of the bike payment was something I needed to do so I had them total it minus the salvage fee so that I could still keep the bike and pay off the loan. I continued to ride it until my insurance policy expired. My insurance company would not insure it again after that because they do not insure salvaged bikes.
    The insurance company gave me the option to fix it or total it because of the scratch. The structure has not been compromised so the "salvaged" title is only a technicality. Is it possible to convert the title back to a regular title in the state of California. Or, maybe there is something else that the title can be converted to, to make the bike more easily insurable.

Thanks you for input. It is greatly appreciated.
    C

Downloads
    Uploads
    You made the call to tatal it! Quit whining! Have it inspected by the CHP. That may or may not help. Try shopping for other insurance companies too. But you can never get rid of the salvage title once it is issued to any vehicle!.

Downloads
    Uploads
    fix the scratch.. polish it out.. fill & paint it. so you cant see it.. take to inspection workshop get new title..