I've had this trouble ever since I got my laptop, a couple of years ago now. And now I've got a new DVD for christmas, and my laptop won't play it.

It works on in every other DVD-playing machine - except mine - so there's nothing wrong with the disc itself. It's been bought here in England, from a shop, so there should be nothing wrong with the code. An my laptop plays nearly every other DVD in the house, except for the odd few which it doesn't seem to play; which are all newer DVDs, in fact - no scratches or smudges or anything.

When I put the disc in, the machine just keeps making a whirring noise; it gets louder, then stops, then gets louder and stops again. And this just goes on and on. Once, I left and DVD in for ten minutes just to see what would happen, and when I came back it still wasn't playing, just making that pained sort of noise.

I know I could just got an watch the DVD somewhere else in the house, but I was looking forward to just watching it in the peace and quiet.

Does anyone know why it might be doing this, playing some DVDs but not others, even when they're in perfectly good condition?