Having problems with my CD/DVD drives. Physically, my PC sees the devices, but in Device Manager, I can see the manufacturer's but with the yellow exclamation point. I tried updating the drivers, and my PC tells me that there is no better match than what I have, but when I go to My Computer my drives are not listed. I completely uninstalled both devices, restarted my PC and WinXP instantly "found new hardware", installed and then the window said the devices may not work properly as there was problems.

My latest attempt was to purchase an external CD/DVD drive and use it via USB....well, plugged it in, WinXP instantly found hardware, but again notified me the device may not work properly. Nothing listed in My computer. On the box, it says WinXP will automatically find the device and install drivers. No install required. But again, in device manager, yellow exclamation point, and no drive listed.

Why won't this device show up?. The manufact can be seen, but no drives still
My new CD/DVD drive is plugged into the front USB ports, does that matter? I'm assuming it doesn't, but does that matter what USB port I plug the drive into? My PC instantly recognizes it once I plug it in, but that's about as far as I get.