Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What cables do you need for a DVD drive?

I just ordered a DVD/CD ROM disk drive and i wonder what cables do you need for it to work and everything.Also do i need a disk or software or anything so it would work and allow me to play PC games on it like Battlefield 3 and Far Cry 3 etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For an internal, SATA data and power (power is usually built into the power supply). A retail drive probably comes with the cable and attachment screws. And OEM drive may not.

An external drive will use USB or eSATA, which may be that only, or that plus a power adapter. A retail one should come with all the cables.

In any case, you shouldn't need a software to use the drive as a basic reader/writer drive. A drive may come with a CD that has a manual in pdf, DVD playback and CD/DVD authoring software (the software probably limited feature and/or limited time OEM demos). Windows itself can make CD/DVD ROMS, UDF discs, audio CDs from WMP or other media app, and burn ISO images.

As for your games, it is game specific if you need their DC/DVD in the drive, or other software to play them. As far as the optical drive, all it needs is the system drivers to basically read the disc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    These usually connect via a USB 2.0 connection, and also typically need their own power supply. Some newer models might use eSATA or USB 3.0.

Drivers for these are usually generic enough that Windows can use it without additional installation.

Not sure about Far Cry 3, but BF3 only needs the disc for initial installation. Since your game account is controlled by Origin, the disc is not needed thereafter.