Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What cable do I need to hook my computer to my dvd player?

My dvd player has only coaxial, s-video and av cable connectors. The laptop I'm buying has •3 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x HDMI port, 1 x VGA port, 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port.
    Do I need to buy a newer dvd player? My tv is ancient having only a coaxial connector, so if I can connect to this dvd player it would be best.

Thanks for your help.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Laptops do not normally have A/V inputs the way TVs and monitors have (the HDMI and VGA on the laptop are for video output, not input), so if you were planning to watch DVDs from the DVD player on the laptop screen, that won't work.

Anyway, if the laptop has an optical drive that's DVD compatible, you can just put the DVDs in there and watch them, without needing any separate DVD player.

The only other thing you could try, but it won't work very well, is to get a USB video capture device, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-VC500-Touch-Capture-Device/dp/B000VM60I8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1301800999&sr =1-1

(But those are designed more for capturing/recording video to play back later, rather than watching it as it plays - so the video may be jerky, the sound may not be audible until you play it back later, etc.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    You may need a new DvD player. You should be able to find an HDMI DVD player to connect to your PC or mac.